Friends of HCS - "we are fuelled by enthusiasm, running on a shoestring!"
The ‘Friends of Heaton Chapel Station’ group was formed in August 2011 to improve the station by looking after the gardens and through various projects and art projects. We also want to encourage greater use of the station by promoting the facilities, services and destinations served, and by lobbying for improvements where necessary.
We have already :
- transformed the flower beds
- acquired ten large flowerbed planters, suitably planted
- funded the national award winning 'Running Man' art project
- provided a 'travellers library' for rail users
- landscaped scrubland next to the ramp on Tatton Road South [together with Sustainability Living]
- revamped the ramp on Tatton Road South with new stone
- painted many areas and organised the complete painting of the station
- arranged for Father Christmas to visit the children at the station
- decorated the booking hall with a Christmas tree, powered fairy lights, baubles etc.
- produced a poular free mini-timetable from HCS to Piccadilly
- sourced and framed 40 old photos and Victorian advertisements, displayed on the stairways
- man our stand at local events
We are always in need of more volunteers to help maintain the station gardens and keep the areas neat and tidy. You don't have to be an enthusiast or expert to help - just turn up at one of our events or meetings!
This website tells you about our activities and how to join in, it is only £2 per annum. We also have some interesting information and photos about the history of the station and line.
Our contact email address is FofHCS@gmail.com
Twitter : @Hea